I have told you about the tractor driver.
He was taking a trailor load of tomatoes to ???. We asked directions to the dolmus (local bus). He offered us a lift the kilometer or so. We (Lisa Tim Clare and I) balanced on the rear of the tractor holding on to crates of tomatoes. As we got off we spilled a crate and tomatoes went everywhere. He was not upset at all. His reaction was to offer us as many tomatoes as we could carry.
A few days later we were walking through Demre, a poor is farming town, when a little old man called out then ran across the street to give us a large handful of fruit (cherry tomatoes sized sweet orange coloured fruits).
We won't forget our "shopkeepers" who gave us food from their garden in Sidima.
Finally I should mention the farmer on the day when we walked in a circle for an hour. I had called to him across a stone wall as we desperately needed directions amongst the maze of greenhouses and orchards. He came out with his granddaughter and took us along a path to a junction. Before letting us go he gave us oranges from his orchard. He picked peeled and handed to us two and then filled our pack with more than we could carry.
They were beautifully sweet and juicy navel oranges.
Perfect for a hot walk.
To those mentioned and many more - Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment